EC chief: Cabinet disapproved of indelible ink

Malaysiakini
May 17, 08 12:48pm

 

Election Commission chairperson Rashid Abdul Rahman said the cabinet did not approve the use of indelible ink during the March 8 general election.

“I was told that I was to take the responsibility for agreeing to it. It’s not easy being EC chairperson. I took the whole rap over the year,” Rashid told reporters after a function today.

Rashid’s comments further fueled speculations that the decision to scrap the use of indelible ink was a executive decision in light of whimsy excuses for the last minute U-turn in using the ink.

Last year, the EC had agreed to use the ink in the 12th General Election to put to rest claims of multiple voting. The plan was cancelled five days before the March 8 polling day.

A princely sum of RM2.4 million for about 48,000 bottles of the ink was bought from India, but Rashid had to call off the move on claims, that were never substantiated, that elements of sabotage had been detected by the police.

Leave a comment

Filed under News

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s